Health Certificates

Health Certificates for Travel with Your Pets

If you are planning on traveling with your pet to another state, your pet may require a domestic health certificate to prevent the spread of disease. A pet health certificate, or a certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI), is a document that your pet's veterinarian fills out to declare that your pet is disease-free and up-to-date on all the vaccinations he or she needs. After a thorough exam of your pet, your veterinarian will provide this form to you for travel.

Animal health requirements differ state to state. Airlines even have their own pet travel requirements! If traveling by air, check with your airline to see if they require a health certificate for your pet's travel. We encourage you to schedule an exam for a health certificate as soon as your travel dates are solidified since certificates must be issued within 10 days of travel. Your pet must also be at least eight (8) weeks old and fully weaned before travel.

If you have additional questions on health certificates and pet travel, visit the USDA - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. As always, you can also contact us for any assistance.

Need a health certificate for your pet?

woman with terrier on phone